Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob...


I've been gone from work for over a week now and like the link below I wouldn't say I've been missing it.


We got here Thursday night and were so tired from Mt. Rushmore, Sioux Falls, and the drive across WY, SD, MN, WI and into IL, I haven't had the energy to think about work.  Once we relaxed for a few days, I started getting anxious about missing work yesterday.  After spending an hour or so having an internal conversation about how I needed to let go of work and focus on being present with my family, I was able to let go.  In a great moment of gratitude I realized the only reason I'm able to do this trip, and have the ability to let go, is because of the great people that I work with, supporting me on this trip.  My partner Jeff, and team Cody and Peter, have done such an excellent job. other than that hour yesterday, I've felt zero stress being gone from work.  My clients that I work with, have also been so supportive of the trip, it's been cool to see their support. 

Like I said above we've been taking it pretty easy over since we got here Thursday night.  Tracy and Arden left Friday after lunch to go to her parents house in Buffalo Grove which is about 45 minutes from my sister's house.  They went to host a shower for Tracy's brother and fiancĂ© Saturday.  Arden was really excited to be a part of the festivities, and hang with her 2 year old cousin Sophie, who is like a living doll for her.  Friday night when my sister's husband got home from work, we did a time honored tradition in Ill, we went to Friday fish fry.  We went to the Rusty Nail in Ringwood, IL.  I assume the Friday night fish fry tradition was started because the Catholics couldn't eat meat on Fridays during Lent.  When we were kids Friday fish fry was a popular thing to do but I don't recall ever seeing signs for fish fry in Colorado.  I don't think the health conscious in CO would be too excited for fried fish every Friday night.  It was really good, and afterwards we went to The Dari, a local ice cream store that has been there for 50+ years in Hebron, IL.  (More about the Dari later).  My sister lives almost at the border of WI and IL so these towns have hundreds, maybe a few thousand people in them.  Between the towns are fields and fields of corn and beans all farmed by the local farmers.  All 60 or so miles from the 3rd largest city (Chicago) in the country.  The people in these towns are hard workers and all great, friendly people.  It reminds me of Mayberry on the Andy Griffith show except with nasaly Chicago accents.  Imagine Da Bears skit on SNL.

Saturday we didn't do much until later in the day when we went to a graduation party at one of the local farms.  I have many memories as a kid going parties like this at farms or in people's backyards.  The boys quickly quickly headed to the field where they started playing football with all the farm boys. These farm boys are a tough group. There were two little boys, probably 4 years old that were running around tackling each other.  That was their game.  One kid would run ten feet the other kid would tackle him and vice versa.  Most 4 year olds I know would cry if they got too far from their Mom.  Davis was the youngest boy playing football by a number of years, so nobody was throwing the ball to him. Since he wasn't seeing any action nobody was covering him and his cousin Austin threw the ball to him and he scored a touchdown.  He was so excited. He was probably the only kid playing under 10 years old.  Davis and I left early, as he was exhausted and my sister and her family came home later.  People in CO always hear me say the word "pop" instead of soda so I found it interesting the cooler was labeled "pop". Pics below.  



Sunday was Father's Day. Tracy came back to my sisters house with her parents, her sister, her brother in law and their baby Sophie.  All 13 of us went out for brunch, which I asked my sister to arrange.  I always enjoy going to brunch with a large group for holidays.  After devouring multiple plates of food we all went back to my sisters house to relax.  The adults hung out inside while the kids played outside.  After an early dinner we put the kids to bed and went to bed early. Monday we went to Magic Waters, a water park about an hour away.  When we got home the cousins had to each go to their baseball games so we stayed in wit Arden and Davis, and relaxed.  The kids went to bed early.

So back to the Dari.  We've gone there for ice cream many of the nights since I've been there and it is such a throwback of the old fashioned town hangout in these old farm towns.  Most every baseball team, win or lose, goes there after games, and since Hebron is such a small town almost everyone knows everyone there.  The owners are really nice and are second generation owners.  The little gray building to the left that is almost entirely covered by the RV is a barbershop which is also owned by a second generation owner.  We took my sister's mother in law with us to ice cream and she told us my brother in law got his first haircut there as a kid some 40 years ago!  For the record she said he cried.  If you see him feel free to bring it up.  Since we've been there a few times in the last week I asked if I could hop behind the counter and take a picture.  Being the small town Hebron is the owner said no problem!  (pics below).  In the background you can see the water tower and it is painted like a basketball which is the way I remember it as long as I've been around.  That is because in 1952 Hebron High School, from a school of 98 students, won a state basketball championship.  Ironically defeating Quincy High School.  I know a bunch of people from Quincy, IL.  Read the story here if you're interested - http://www.mchenrycountysports.com/articles/2012/03/13/r_qasvdw1lrkojgutwr9ah4a/index.xml


They even let me take an order or two 

A few more days here in IL and then back to Denver for my really good friday JB's wedding Friday and Saturday.  

Favorite parts of the day tonight:
Arden - fishing 
Caden  (10 years old) - getting a dirt bike 
Uncle Greg - when Aunt Colleen asked if he wanted to kiss and make up because he was crabby 
Colleen - when uncle Matt went to the doctor like the wimp he is (Chiropractor for the record - did I mention the 1400 mile drive?)  
Austin (13 years old in a few weeks) - crashing the dirt bike and fishing 
Davis - fishing and eating pepper right out of the garden 
Tracy - working out 
Matt - going last for favorite part of the day so Mommy didn't have to (Moms always go last it seems)

No comments:

Post a Comment