Monday, June 23, 2014

48 hours in Denver

Tracy and I left Friday morning to go back to Denver for our friend JB's wedding.  We landed just after lunch.  We went to our house and it was strange being home without the kids or dog.  Given our rare freedom, we laid around and watched TV for a while.  I went to get a haircut later in the afternoon and Tracy went shopping.  The place where I get my haircut is across the street from my office, but I chose not to stop by the office, and get my mind thinking about work.  We both got back to the house around 4:00 and started getting ready for the rehearsal dinner.  We got to the rehearsal dinner around 7:00.  It was in Cherry Creek at a hotel I've never seen or heard of called the Inn at Cherry Creek.  The hotel is small and tucked behind a restaurant at 233 Clayton.  It was a perfect place to have the rehearsal dinner on a 2nd floor patio terrace overlooking Clayton Street.  It was mainly a few close friends of the bride and groom, their families, and out of town guests.  We have known the groom's parents for years, and had met his friends from St. Louis a few times, so it was nice to see everyone again.  I was surprised at how calm everyone was.  Going to weddings at 36 years old is much different than 26 years old.  We had a few drinks but generally took it easy.  We would change all that, Saturday at the actual wedding!

Saturday we relaxed at the house, and got picked up at our house by our friends Chris and Larina around5:30 for the wedding.  The wedding was at a restaurant near Wash Park called Cafe Bar.  There were 100-125 guests and the restaurant was a perfect fit for the festivities.  We had a few drinks and some appetizers and they started the wedding ceremonies.  The ceremony was officiated by JB's cousin Ben, who is a local sportswriter for the Denver Post, and an amazingly talented guy.  He gave a great speech and proceeded with the formal part of the ceremony.  The groom and bride each have two daughters, and the daughters all wrote vows and asked them to the other parent.  it went something like this:  "JB, do you promise to let us all cuddle in your bed and make us pancakes and watch cartoons with us on Saturday mornings?"  JB says "I do".  It was really cool.  It was also great seeing all the other guys from work.  My office is 40 or so people, mainly guys around my age, and a great group to hang out with in business and socially.  Having been gone for two weeks I really missed everyone and being together again reminded me how lucky I am to work with such great people.  I enjoy going to work everyday and sometimes allow myself to take how great the people are for granted.  

The next morning we woke up and went out for breakfast.  Our flight wasn't until 3:00, so Tracy paid some bills and sorted the last two weeks of mail, while I watched the World Cup.  We went to the airport and headed back to Chicago.  

When we got back to Tracy's parents house, the kids were very excited to see us and exhausted from their weekend with their grandparents.  I have a funny feeling they were very active, stayed up late and dined on regular helpings of sugar.  

It was such an interesting feeling to me having the stress of everyday life rush back in once I got back near my house.  It's hard to let myself mentally break away from work, and the last two weeks I've been able to do that successfully.  Once we got back into the neighborhood the stresses of home life and work life came rushing back in.  Even as I sit here Monday night I'm slowly getting back into "vacation mode".  

Today we took the train from Arlington Heights, near Tracy's parent's house in Buffalo Grove to Woodstock.  The train systems here are awesome compared to CO.  Ironically, when we got a few minutes from our stop, I got our luggage and walked downstairs and our long time family friend Donna Erwin was sitting there!  I was bummed we didn't get to talk for the last 40 minutes but we sat down and talked for a few minutes before we got to the station.  She's going to come over Saturday for a bbq so it will be good to catch up.  

Favorite part of the day:
Arden - going to auntie Rara's house and playing with her cousin Sophie
Davis - riding uncle B's long board (skate board)
Daddy - seeing old friend Donna Erwin on train and getting to Aunt Colleen's house to relax
Tracy -  When Sophie paid her for dinner in kisses (remotely as she stayed at her parent's house tonight)

No comments:

Post a Comment